Testo supports The Katie Haines Memorial Trust
Testo Limited is actively supporting The Katie Haines Memorial Trust by sharing the following video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_auaoxHzY, which raises the awareness of CO poisoning in the home, and we have also issued all employees with their own CO detector units to be installed at home.
Please view the video and ensure you have a suitable CO detector fitted in your home, they are available from all good DIY outlets. We would then ask that you share this message with all of your friends and connections so we can all work together to prevent any further deaths from this “silent killer”.
Carbon Monoxide (CO)
It is estimated that up to 50 people die and over 4,000 people are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK each year, although the figure could be much higher.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is known as the Silent Killer because it is an odourless, tasteless and colourless toxic gas which is produced by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels used in central heating systems, gas appliances and fires. CO can be emitted from any appliance burning combustible fuel, e.g. gas (mains or bottled), solid fuel (coal, wood, etc), petrol, oil or paraffin etc.
Some of the symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, sore throat, dry cough and nausea, all of which could easily be confused with viral cold and flu infections, food poisoning or general tiredness.
In Katie’s case CO proved fatal but can also poison in tiny amounts because it is taken up in preference to oxygen by the haemoglobin (the oxygen carrying part) in the blood. Low level exposure of CO over a long period can cause brain and neurological damage. Some people, particularly the elderly, are ill for months and even years without knowing why.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning
Carbon Monoxide stops the blood carrying oxygen, which, depending on how much is inhaled, can be fatal or lead to serious injury. It is particularly dangerous because you cannot see it, smell it or taste it. It is known as the silent killer for that reason.
Carbon Monoxide is one of the gases emitted by car exhausts and is a common way for people to commit suicide.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be easily confused with common illnesses and ailments and may lessen when you are away from home.
- Confusion and clumsiness
- Persistent chest or stomach pains
- Blurred vision or hallucinations
High levels of CO can kill in minutes
Posted on February 20, 2013, in Commercial, Deals, Events, flue gas, Health and Safety, hEATING, Home, hvac, Industry, Latest News, News, Plumbers uk, Safety, Testemonials and tagged awareness, carbon monoxide, co, poisoning, raising, Testo, The Katie Haines Memorial Trust, youtube. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.